A long-vacant historic downtown building is getting new life. Carmel-based RealAmerica Development is converting the Randall Building at 616 S. Harrison St. into one- and two-bedroom apartments called the Randall Lofts.
The building was originally constructed in 1905 and is the largest Victorian commercial block in Fort Wayne. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Renovation of the building is estimated to cost $7.5 million with the City of Fort Wayne contributing $600,000 in federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program 3 dollars. The developer is also getting Low-Income Housing Tax Credits through the Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority for the effort.
RealAmerica will convert floors two through five into 44 apartments. The street-level floor will continue to be used for commercial purposes. The City of Fort Wayne's Housing and Neighborhood Services (HANDS) board and Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry provided written support for the project.